Skip to main content

Research Before you sign up for any Internet Connection for your Home!



Alright, to start things off, I just had a new internet connection at home and I fckin hate it. It's the pesky P***** which I don't want to mention for the sake of their reputation and honor.   I was supposed to enjoy this connection since I turned away from Globe (even though we endured the last 3 years) due to the never ending connectivity and instability issues I am experiencing every 8:00pm to 11:00pm. A golden time in which I treasure since I am playing DOTA2 at those hours. Then, one day, my connection got cut because my brother didn't  informed us that he didn't pay the last 2 months of billing in which they cut us off. I had no complains with the disconnection since it was our own fault not paying the bill, And in myself I was thinking that its the right time to change from the "SLOW" and "UNSTABLE" into an affordable, and  "DECENT" internet connection for our home.

I had slow connection before, and now It's time to set things straight. I had no job at that moment, so premiere connection isn't the first option. I want a consumer type of internet at a very very affordable rate.

Don't Rush Things

At that moment, I can't research for reviews of any internet service provider both in my areas since I don't have any internet connection to start with. The pressure was on me to have an immediate ISP, because I am a breadwinner, so I have to find a job immediately.

I then remember, that I have a friend whose an agent working for P**** whom I promised to call him in case I need a broadband for home. He is persistent when it comes to sales talking me on the company's internet products. I often talk to him how my previous DSL internet connection sucks. He'd then tell me that their company's DSL  is far way better than Globe.


Going back to the present time, he then told me that the company's DSL lines in my area are not yet available for unknown reasons. I asked him why, but It seemed like their company has not found my location feasible for their cable internet business. He then suggested their "Canopy-based" internet connection in which I am reluctant to accept.

I have two options for my new internet plan, the first one is  Converge ICT Solutions, Converge is kinda  dominant in my area, but didn't go through it because I was unsure at that moment and I have no friends to ask about the details about them. And the second one was P******* in which I know is kinda reliable compared to globe. It was a hard decision for me to choose one, because one is signal / "Canopy" based, and one is something I am not sure of, to play safe on this matter I choose P****** since my parents are also rushing me to get ISP immediately for they need to have an internet connection to contact my brother whose in china through Viber.

In the end, I choose P***** since I promised my friend that I would be helping him.


Price Wise

The "canopy-based" internet's  brochure is quite misleading. I I thought their service is very cheap, that's why I agreed to my friend. Imagine to get 3Mbps with 1Gig daily allowance for just 988, in reality, It was very very cheap at first glance. I thought it was fair. But then, I realized that it was all  a trick. Their brochure didn't indicate that there is this "Device Fee" which is mandatory to get along with the 988 plan.  And the funnier thing is, the plan is locked for 36 months, meaning, I have to pay the device fee for 3 FCKN years.

I then suddenly realized that it was NOT cheap. My previous globe plan is already 1300 with a complimentary landline -  unlimited to globe landlines and mobile phones. And this 988 plan isn't even a cable internet! so I just fooled myself in  to listening to a friend offering overpriced internet connection.

Since I promised a friend that I will avail the service, , I couldn't do anything but to continue with the application.

I will have to pay 1300 per month for the 3 Mbps plan for 3 years. What a life! #FML


Call me Maybe? 

It took them less than 2 weeks to process my request. I had this interview from their manila number (maybe a QA). I guess, there are these internal issues when it comes to commission and under the table. It was nice to be contacted by their rep to validate everything before anything get started.

The first call was fine. The call was about the validation of the billing address, the plan I signed up for, and for other details related to the plan. And there comes the second one, a call about the location of my home. They could have asked that question on the first call. It was fine yes,but kinda annoying.



Connection Quality

Service is fine... (SARCASM)

As usual. Everything advertised so well isn't really as realistic as it seems in real life. The connection is consistently.... on and off, which means,NO DOTA2 for me. Facebook loads like 15 seconds, and sometimes it doesn't load at all. YouTube and other stuff are loading fine, except for Facebook for fck sake. We had this joke, that we should change the angle of the canopy for us to gather better coverage. (Don't settle for canopy type) you won't enjoy it.

My sister and her husband often complained this connection for being slow, and yes it is 3Mbps, not 512K. I told them that maybe they have exceeded the daily data allowance of 1Gig per day. They kept on downloading series of 700mb movies, despite the fact that I told them that we can only download less than 1G of movie a day. In which they do not understand well. In result, no internet for me when I get home from our store.

The on and off style is fine with me, but not the DAILY ALLOWANCE is not... I thought I can bear it, but after few days of use, It now matters to me. I can't even watch series of shows when I get home every saturdays. No more DOTA2 for me since one patch is almost 2Gig or more.

Click here to know what "daily allowance" means.

After Sales Service

They will remind you about your plan over and over again. For someone else, It's ok, but for me it's kinda annoying.

They will notify you on the following occasion:


  1. Your cut-off 
  2. Upon paying your bill
  3. before they cut you off
  4. After paying your bill
  5. after your connection has been reconnected.
I know that they are being concerned with their subscribers, but it can be inconvenient at some point. 



Conclusion

Always research before you hire a contractor for your home's internet connection. 36 months is not a short time, so is 24 months. The contract is locked and you have to pay in order for you to get quick release from the connection they are offering.  Be careful because there are these hidden charges and service details that they won't inform in their ads. Get a plan which is suited for your need, not just because it is number one in the whole Philippines, or everyone is using the same plan. 



Be wise since you can get a faster internet with the same rate.


Popular posts from this blog

Channels that your Cable TV should have!

Online streaming such as HooQ, Netflix, and other  online streaming sites made us take control on movies to watch, or what content should you watch. It certainly is the future of television, but it still can't replace the old fashioned cable TV for home because of some technicalities that are so hard to understand. Cable TV is a good thing to have at home. Cable TV provides us entertainment packages for us to see at our own Television Set. The only difference between Cable TV and Online streaming is the content shown at the same moment. HooQ and other online sites offers you to watch what your heart desired at any moment of the day... as long as you have internet connection.  Unlike in Cable TV, if you are tuning in a series, you have to wait for a specific time to follow the story of the series that are you following. It's a mere fact that Cable TV providers are providing pre-set channel combination for your cable TV package these package are the basic ones. Even tho

Do you know what CIR (Committed Information Rate) is?

In the Converge ICT's FTTX plan, the Committed Information Rate (CIR) is displayed as "Minimum Speed" There are many things our Internet Service Providers won't just tell us. Some of it are just "little jargons" in which we cannot totally understand, though some are very crucial when it comes to the impact to "us", subscribers. In a good way, it'll save us the trouble understanding the technicalities of network and communication. But in a bad way, not knowing these "technicalities" limits our capability to maximize our usage. One of the hidden terms that our ISP failed to disclose in their ads is the CIR "Committed Information Rate."   It is important to know what CIR is especially when it acts as a "guarantee" that the internet connection will be having it's minimum bandwidth that the users can utilize in the plan.  Why is it important to know what is CIR? It's plainly simple, it gives the user ass

Mabilis ba ang 5mbps na Internet (How fast is 5mbps Internet)?

Average internet speed of Converge ICT Fiber X plan 1500 is around 15-18 mbps. The plan is maxed at 25 mbps with 30% minimum speed and 70% service reliability Hello Guys! This is Marc at ngayon lang ako maglalabas ng tagalog na blog para matulungan ung mga taong mamili ng internet para sa personal na kunsumption. Itong article na to ay naglalayon na bigyan ng idea ang mga tao sa bilis ng internet na sa tingin ko ay fair na para lahat.  Itong article na to ay tutulungan din kayong mamili ng tamang internet speed, ngayon tuturuan ko kayo ng trick kung tama lang ba o kulang ung 5 mbps na internet para sa consumo nyo. Hindi lahat ng tao ay nagreresearch bago pumirma ng kung ano ano, minsan nagiging impulsive tayo sa pagbili lalo na kung wala tayong idea sa mga serbisyo na binabayaran natin, mas madalas tayong nasasales talk ng mga ahenteng gusto lang ay makabenta para sa kumisyon. Mas madalas tayo nadadala ng mga "Promo" katulad ng "Zero" installation fee,